Ten Tips To Get Started on Meditating
October 5, 2021
Would you like to reduce your stress, feel less anxious, have a more positive view of life, optimize memory and attention, as well as improve sleep physical health? We have the answer…MEDITATION
Here are 10 tips to get started on meditating:
- Find a space and time to meditate! Finding a quiet place where you can be free of distractions as well as scheduling a set time of the day each day to meditate can help you to maintain your meditation practice.
- Start small, try only 5 minutes a day, and work your way up. The ideal meditation time can range from 10 to 30 minutes. Find what works best for you.
- Do not create unrealistic expectations at the beginning. Meditation takes time and practice; some days will be easier than others.
- To begin, find a comfortable position, sitting or lying down. Close your eyes and focus on your breath by inhaling and exhaling. You can also try meditating while walking.
- Forget about the stereotypical cross-legged sitting position. Try any of the four meditation positions, sitting on a chair with legs uncrossed and feet on the floor, laying down, or even walking. For more details visit https://www.headspace.com/meditation/positions
- Practice breathing exercises. Breathing is the perfect way to trigger your body to go into a relaxation response which will make you feel safe and at ease. Try the iBreath app for different breathing exercises.
- Be aware of your emotions! Meditation is also a great way to learn to understand yourself, emotions and thoughts that come and go during the day.
- Towards the end of your meditation, slowly bring back the attention to your body, and gently move your arms, legs, fingers, toes.
- Try to make it part of your routine! Even if you do not feel like it, try to meditate daily, you will start seeing the benefits sooner.
- Try any of the following apps to begin your meditation journey: Calm, Headspace, Insight Timer, Liberate, MyLife, Simple Being, Simple Habit and Breethe.
To learn more about meditation and mental health visit https://declutterthemind.com/blog/
We would love to hear how it’s going! Share your meditation experience with us, and if you download any of the recommended apps, let us know to receive 40 points!