Summer Survival Tips
June 1, 2021
Working under extremely hot and humid conditions can be harmful to your health. It can lead to fainting, suffering a heat stroke, heat cramps, heat rash, and even accidents. Therefore, it is important to be aware of the many ways you can protect yourself and avoid heat-related complications.
Follow these tips to protect yourself from the sun!
- Stay hydrated! Drink at least one pint (two cups) every hour, but avoid liquids that dehydrate the body, such as caffeine or sugary soda.
- Remember to take a quick break from the sun when possible, find a shaded area or air-conditioned area.
- Wear clothing that does not trap heat! These clothes include waterproof and impermeable clothing, wet or sweat-soaked clothing, emergency protective gear that it is longer than necessary. Instead, wear lightweight, light-colored, and loose-fitting clothing.
- Wear gear that helps to keep you cool, such as wet neck towels, gel-filled cooling neck scarves, or cooling vests.
- Apply sunscreen! Working under the sun might damage the skin leading to skin cancer, to avoid it apply sunscreen every day and do not forget to reapply it every two hours.
- Be conscious of certain symptoms, feeling dizzy or sluggish might be signs of a heat-related condition.
- Do not forget to eat! By eating small meals with nutrients, such as fruits and vegetables, you will help your body feel hydrated and energized.
Source: Texas Department of Insurance
For Hunton’s detailed information on “Working in Hot Weather,” check out this post, https://huntongroup.com/working-in-hot-weather/