40 Random Acts of Kindness for 40 Years
January 6, 2021
Over the many years Hunton Group has been in business (40 years in 2021) we make sure that we are always reaching out to our community. Part of our core values is to be kind and we make this happen through giving. In years past we have been a part of St. Jude Walk and The Rose Foundation for Breast Cancer. In recent years, we give to BEARing Gifts for CPS kids and donated fully stocked kids backpacks to HPD Clearlake’s backpack program. So, this year we are encouraging our employees to go out and be kind by doing 40 Random Acts of Kindness all year in celebration of our 40th anniversary.
Want to join in? Here are 40 ideas below:
- Pay it Backward: buy coffee for the person behind you in the drive-thru.
- Reach out to an old friend and reminisce about a time you both shared together.
- Send a positive text message to five different people right now.
- Gift an inspirational book anonymously
- Tell someone they dropped a dollar (even though they didn’t). Then give them a dollar.
- Donate old towels or blankets to a shelter (or animal shelter).
- Help your neighbor when they forget trash day.
- Make today a day free of judgment – in words, thoughts, and actions.
- Let someone go in front of you in line who only has a few items.
- Leave a gas gift card at a gas pump.
- Throw a Zoom party to celebrate someone just for being who they are, which is awesome.
- Have a LinkedIn account? Write a recommendation for a coworker or connection.
- Leave quarters in a bag at the laundromat (include a small package of hand sanitizer wipes)
- Encounter someone on the phone in customer service who is especially kind? Take an extra five minutes to tell their manager.
- If you shop in person, leave unused coupons next to corresponding products in the grocery store.
- Leave a note on someone’s car telling them how awesome they parked.
- Try to learn something new about a coworker.
- Write a kind message on your mirror with a dry erase marker for yourself, your significant other, or a family member.
- Wave at five strangers.
- Set an alarm on your phone to go off at three different times during the day. In those moments, do something kind for someone else.
- Send a gratitude email to a coworker who deserves more recognition. And if you are at Hunton Group you can also send a “You’ve Been Noticed.”
- Practice self-kindness and spend 30 minutes doing something you love today.
- Give away stuff for free on Craig’s List.
- Write a gratitude list in the morning and again in the evening.
- Ask a senior about their past.
- Return shopping carts for people at the grocery store and leave a small package of hand sanitizing wipes in the cart.
- Buy a plant. Put it in a terracotta pot. Write positive words that describe a friend on the pot. Give it to that friend!
- Write a positive comment on your favorite blog, website, or a friend’s social media account.
- Compliment a parent on how well-behaved their child is.
- Leave a larger tip for your Uber Eats or Door Dash driver.
- When you’re throwing something away on the street, pick up any litter around you and put that in the trash too.
- Purchase extra dog or cat food and bring it to an animal shelter.
- Find opportunities to give compliments. It costs nothing, takes no time, and could make someone’s entire day. Don’t just think it. Say it.
- Take flowers to the nurses’ station at your nearest hospital.
- Give free groceries to a family that is struggling.
- Send a ‘Thank you’ card or note to the officers at your local police or fire station.
- Run an errand for a family member or friend who is busy.
- Ship a care package.
- Put your phone away while in the company of your family.
- Email or write to a former teacher who made a difference in your life.
Don’t forget that Random Acts of Kindness Day is on Wednesday, Feb 17th. To find out more about Random Acts of Kindness Day, click here. https://www.randomactsofkindness.org/